Each position requires a different amount of skill and strength. Below are some common things you will want to know about popular positions.
- Quarter Backs: Quarter Backs need to have excellent arm strength, an ability to run (at least a decent run), and the ability to take a hit. You can train for all these by lifting weights and practicing your passes (arm strength), running ladders or taking short runs (speed), and exercises focused around the chest (ability to take a hit.)
- Running Backs: Running Backs need to rely on a number of things. Speed, agility, carrying the ball, awareness, and the knowledge they are tackled frequently. Common activities such as running, practice dodging objects, and playing against friends will help build all these key strong points.
- Wide Receivers: Wide Receivers need to have speed, agility, and the ability to catch and be tackled. General exercises can build strength, such as pulls ups or weightlifting. Catching is a skill that you can learn by yourself or in a group (groups work best.)
- Defenders: Defenders, especially lineman, need to be all muscles and very large. As a lineman, you will get pushed around a lot, and have to tackle people a lot as well. Getting muscular and large is easy.
- Kickers and Punters: Leg strength is about it. You will get pushed down sometimes, but not often. Doing leg exercises and practicing your kicking is all you need to do.